Lemon Rassam / RassonJanuary 27, 2021
Preparation time : 15 mins
Cooking time : 30 mins
Serves 5 - 8
• 1 cup (250g) yellow split peas
• 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes
• 1/2 white onion
• 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
• 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
• 1/2 tsp tumeric powder
• 3 tbsp of tamarind paste
• 3 tbsp of cumin seeds
• 1 dry red chilli
• 1 tbsp black peppercones
• curry leaves
• coriander leaves
• vegetable oil
• 2 lemon (Juice)
Ingredients for tempering :
• Curry leaves
1. In a pressure cooker add the yellow split peas following by the turmeric powder and 1/2 ltr of water as well until done.
2. Next put a big saucepan to heat on a medium fire, followed by all the dry spices to roast.
3. Keep stirring to prevent the spices from burning. When they start to crackle add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil followed by the tomatoes, onions and curry leaves.
4. After all has combined into a mixture/paste from a grinder, pour the reserved water/dal to the mix back again in the saucepan.
5. Add in tamarind paste , finely chopped coriander leaves and salt accordingly.
6. Followed by 1 ltr of water to the mix and cover to simmer on low fire for 25 mins approx.
7. In another pan , heat 1 tbsp of ghee and throw in the curry leaves.
8. Pour in the tempered oil and curry leaves and at last the lemon juice 5 mins before turning off the gas.
9. Garnish with even more coriander leaves and serve hot.
Recette d'Anoushka @peachytales